As featured on NewsNow: Leeds United newsLeeds Utd News 24/7

Sunday 28 April 2013

The Diaries of A Leeds Fan - Leeds 1-2 Brighton

Today all started when I woke up at 7am, I was struggling to get to sleep the night before, my dad told me that he was working and therefore I could take his season ticket and go to the match instead of him. This would actually be the first game I would see with Brian McDermott as the manager and of course the first time seeing the new kit in real instead of just in pictures. When I got on the train to go to Leeds, it was odd, I would normally be with my dad talking about the match, but I was just on my own, so I started to play FIFA. I got to Leeds and went off to Elland  Road straight away. I have to admit, since first seeing the home kit and like I said on this blog calling it a "monstrosity" It has grown on me, and the chances are that I will be buying one once I can.


Super Diouf converts to make it 1-1
Click on the image to watch the penalty
Now the match, I got in with plenty of time to spare (unlike most times I visit Elland Road) and it was an even start to the match. I was starting to think about the football we were playing was much better than the football we were playing under Warnock. Just after that thought had crossed my mind. Bad defending meant Buckley broke through and gave Brighton a one goal lead. Then to make matters worse when Austin was running for the ball, it seemed from my view that Barnes just fell towards to ground holding his face with no assistance, however when looking at it again, it was clear that there was contact, the referee gave him a straight red, this was a yellow card offence as it wasn't on purpose but still could have hurt the player. It seemed like Barnes was going down  constantly to get a Leeds player sent off. If so then he shouldn't be playing football as this is just pure cheating. However Brighton weren't as engaged for this match as they were for the Blackpool one, Leeds didn't look like they had had a man sent off. So at half time it was 1-0, this however was due to some major refereeing mistakes by Graham Scott, in the second half a few more bad refereeing decisions were to take place before after a corner, El-Hadji Diouf was blatantly pulled to the ground for a Leeds penalty. It was a deserved straight red card for Calderon who had only just come on. Diouf converted, I recorded it whilst looking away. Whilst I was making sure that the clip had actually caught the penalty, I heard a huge chorus of boos from the Leeds fans around me, I looked up to see Diouf walking off the pitch, according to BBC it was something he did towards the fans, according to Sky, it was something he said to the linesman, you make your own mind up over what actually took place.
Afterwards, I was only sickened even more after correctly predicting that Leeds would be returning to heart break hotel after Ulloa scored in the 88th minute. This thing seems to happen to us all the time. It is starting to get a bit annoying. Hopefully we'll be seeing less of this next season after McDermott has been given the time and money he needs to turn this clubs fortunes around.
After the match, I decided it would be nice to clap the players whilst taking their lap of "honour"
I waited then after it was over looking in the club store at the new kit which I should soon be buying and other various items.                                             
 
That is it, there will be a blog up on Tuesday about has the Premier League lost the plot. There will be a preview for the Leeds vs Watford game on Friday and the review on Sunday, and the Leeds United season review up on Tuesday 7th May. That is all the blogs I know that I will be doing up to now until the new season preview which will start on Wednesday 19th June when the fixtures for the new season come out. You can follow me on Twitter @AJWoodward29 and keep up to date with this blog @LUFCWorld